Welcome to Jerome's Dome


Wherever your thoughts may roam, there’s a place for them within the Dome.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Funny is Funny

I first saw Jay Leno's "Hilarious Gas Pump Prank" the morning of Mother's Day 2013.  I thought it was very entertaining as it generated great laughter and left me feeling, ... well, very good about this musical couple that seemed so in tuned to one another.

I promptly shared it in cyber-space with some nearest and dearest and posted it on my Facebook page. Almost immediately, the hits went through the roof.

Later that afternoon, the video had gone viral. Apparently, folks all over the country also felt the euphoria I had experienced earlier.  This couple had quickly become an internet sensation. Even faster than Sweet Brown's apartment fire interview turned music video.


Two days later as I surfed the web, I learned the couple were actually actors and the whole thing was staged.  They even had footage from a previous video featuring the "wife" from a few years ago.  She was wearing the same sweats, driving the same SUV and appeared to be at the same location.

Needless to say, the wind had kinda been knocked out of my sails.  Nobody likes having the wool pulled over their eyes. And I know, I sure didn't. I just didn't know how to feel about it anymore.  I decided I would view it yet again.

And guess what.  It was still very funny and still very entertaining.  It turns out the Gas Pump Prank was actually a prank on me, but I loved it. While the feeling of euphoria was gone, the stitch in my side from laughter remained.

I guess Charlie Chaplin, Bob Hope, Bill Cosby, Carol Burnett, George Carlin, Richard Pryor and many other comedic standouts had it right.  Funny is funny, no matter how you dress it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment