Welcome to Jerome's Dome


Wherever your thoughts may roam, there’s a place for them within the Dome.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wrath Among Titans

When I first heard about Miami Dolphins’ Jonathan Martin walking off in response to being bullied by teammates, I was dumbfounded.  I initially responded, “How can a 315 pound professional football player be such a punk?”  However as more and more of the circumstances were revealed and Richie Incognito was suspended indefinitely, I found myself in a state of disbelief.  After all, Incognito was a play-maker on a team that for the first time in recent memory was showing the promise of days gone by.  I wondered why a severe fine would not suffice and the team could be kept intact. 
Jonathan Martin walked away from Miami Dolphins practices
after being bullied by teammates last week.  
                         AP

Then while watching the Monday Night game, halftime rolled around and ESPN's Chris Berman did a story regarding the incident.  In the story the below excerpt from an Incognito voicemail to Martin was released.  I was stunned.

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

After seeing Chris’ story, Jonathan Martin no longer looked quite like a punk.  As I picked my jaw up off the floor, I realized all had been made clear.  From my days managing employees I realized Richie Incognito was in some very serious trouble. 
Richie Incognito identified as the ring leader
among Miami Dolphins team bullies.
          AP

He has violated federal Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws which stipulate all individuals have a right to work in an environment free of harassment. 

In Richie Incognito’s case, he has done far worse than simply harassed Martin.  He has racially slurred and slandered Martin and has additionally communicated threats to Martin’s person as well as Martin’s mother.  

Given the number of NFL players who have committed murder or have been implicated in violent crimes it’s no wonder why the Dolphins organization and the NFL have released Incognito.

Richie Incognito, who states he considers Martin a teammate and a friend is not alone in this “rookie hazing behavior” but, has been clearly identified as the ring leader.  He has been suspended indefinitely for behavior detrimental to team operations. While some are alleging Martin is somewhat oversensitive to his teammates' "pranks," I don't know that I would consider racial slurs and threat against my mother to be very friendly. 

In NFL circles he is reported to be one of the dirtiest players in the league. But in the trenches, there are those that would rather have no one else.  As the Dolphins and the NFL continue their investigation into this incident it is almost certain other players and members of the organization may be implicated and possibly subject to litigation. But with a spotted history and trouble maker reputation both in college and in the pros, it is fairly certain Richie Incognito’s professional football playing days may be behind him.  Only time will tell

I'm not hatin, I jus sayin...


No comments:

Post a Comment